‘Truly Outrageous’ – Jem and the Holograms

Do any of you remember Jem and the Holograms? You know the one from the 1985 American children’s tv show – the stereotypical morality show; don’t cross the road without an adult, stealing is bad etc. Perhaps you know of the movie we shalt never speak of made in 2015. I beg of you to not relate that to the review  I am about to give you. To counteract the pain felt while watching the film, we ordered in the first issue of the 2015 Jem and the Holograms.
Without further ado, I want to tell you how much better the comic book is. It’s showtime, Synergy!

jem-and-the-holograms

The new and improved Jem and her sisters Kimber, Shana and Aja- Jem and the Holograms, Volume One, IDW 2015

You may remember Jerrica Benton, a girl with an amazing singing voice and terrible stage fright. If that name doesn’t ring any nostalgic bells, Jerrica and her sisters are attempting to make themselves into the worlds next superstars, their only hold up being Jerrica’s extreme stage fright. Unfortunately, their father has previously passed away and the sisters have nothing bar their talent and each other. Luckily for them, however, is their father was a scientific extraordinaire – his final glorious machine being Synergy, a sentient holographic computer with the ability to  project just about whatever Jerrica wants/needs her to.

jem-1980s

Issue #1 art based on the 1980’s show – Jem and the Holograms, Issue One, IDW 2015

The Misfits, who have professed themselves to be the Holograms’ worst enemy, are also just as prevalent in this comic as they were in the original story. Pizzazz, their lead singer, is an absolute terror for everyone, and her band (Jetta, Roxy and Stormer) just go along with it because she might as well own them. But there’s one thing that makes Pizzazz’s life even worse – Stomer, the band’s songwriter and keytarist, has fallen in love with Kimber of the Holograms – as seen in the feature image. (And that’s the biggest and only spoiler I am going to give you).

For fans of the series, though, this first volume can feel a bit like an exposition slog. The first issue is purely an explanation of the characters and main plot. Though, if you were going to read it I wouldn’t suggest just skipping this volume. It’s got an amazing story line, which I’ve tried very hard not to spoil, and the art is absolutely gorgeous.

Do you remember Jem and the Holograms? Have you read the new Jem? What were your thoughts? Leave a comment below!

(Header image; Jem and the Holograms, Volume One, IDW 2015)

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “‘Truly Outrageous’ – Jem and the Holograms

1. Du An can ho Sapphira Khang Dien quan 9 says:

Everything wrote made a bunch of sense. However, think about this, what if
    you were to create a awesome headline? I am not
    saying your information isn’t good, however suppose you added a
    title that makes people desire more? I mean ‘Truly Outrageous’ –
    Jem and the Holograms – The Faceless Librarian is a little boring.
    You should look at Yahoo’s home page and watch how they create article
    titles to get viewers interested. You might try adding a video or a picture or two
    to get people excited about everything’ve written. Just my opinion, it might make your posts a
    little bit more interesting.

2. minecraft says:

naturally like your web-site but you have to check the spelling
    on several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the
    truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.

3. minecraft says:

Thanks , I have recently been looking for info approximately this
    subject for a while and yours is the best I have found out so
    far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

4. minecraft says:

Howdy I am so glad I found your site, I really found you by accident, while I was looking on Google for something else, Regardless I am here now
    and would just like to say many thanks for a incredible post
    and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have book-marked it and
    also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep up the great b.

5. minecraft says:

I’m impressed, I must say. Seldom do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting, and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the
    head. The issue is an issue that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my hunt for something concerning
    this.

6. minecraft says:

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest
    you some interesting things or suggestions. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I wish to read even more things about it!

7. minecraft says:

You’re so cool! I do not suppose I’ve read through something
    like this before. So great to discover another person with unique thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is one thing that’s needed on the web, someone with a bit of originality!

8. minecraft says:

Great blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring
    writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a
    little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with
    a free platform like WordPress or go for a
    paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m completely confused ..
    Any tips? Thank you!

9. minecraft says:

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you
    will be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and will
    eventually come back someday. I want to encourage that you continue your great
    job, have a nice afternoon!